Click Here!

Fully Featured Website Hosting!!!

Houses of the Jacques Family

 

House built by Louis Jacques in 1694 in Charlesbourg, Québec
Original photo owned by Robert Jacques
provided by his niece Barbara Bulgarelli of Michigan

All  the older houses in Charlesbourg and Bourg Royal have sustained many changes over the years.

The Oldest house in Charlesbourg  

It is believed that this house was built in 1699 by Louis Jacques, on land granted by the Jesuits to Louis Jacques who lived and raised his family in it. Unfortunately they do not have any documentation or official records. The house is known as Maison Levesques as it is built at 1300 Levesque Street in Charlesbourg. The side addition is blacksmith shop.  The house is built with stones.

The home of Jean-Baptiste Jacques

This stone house was built by Jean-Baptiste Jacques dit Duhault on the Jesuit concession in 1756, or there about.  It is built of stone and on higher ground. This house has changed hands several times over the years, mostly within the family. The city’s records indicate that it changed hands in 1665, twice in 1711, four times in 1740, 1742, 1743, 1745, twice in 1761, twice in 1815, twice in 1826, 1828, 1895, 1897 and in 1912.  This house is located at 8080 – 8082 Trait Carré Est in Charlesbourg.


The house built by Jean-Baptiste Jacques for his son Jean-Baptiste

This house was also built by Jean-Baptiste Jacques (1797). It was intended for his son also named Jean-Baptiste,  It is an all wood construction. It has been altered over the years but has retained it original appearance. It was built from squared logs and the front was overlaid with horizontal planking, while the side were finisher with wood shingles. The roof was, at the origin, of wood shingles. Now covered with asphalt tiles. The house is located at 8060 – 8062 Trait Carré Est. 

Like the other house built by Jean-Baptiste Jacques, the city’s records indicate that it changed hands in 1665, twice in 1711, four times in 1740, 1742, 1743, 1745, twice in 1761, twice in 1815, twice in 1826, 1828, 1895, 1897 and in 1912

Note: For some unknown reason, this family corpuscle seemed to love to switch property ownership. Did they move each time? God knows.

For further details visit the following Internet site, which is all in French:  http://patrimoine.mediom.qc.ca/default.htm

Protection of our heritage

These houses and others in the in the Province that have historical value have bee placed under provincial government jurisdiction. They cannot be renovated or altered without prior government approval for the style, type and quality.  All materials used must be approved and be in conformity with those used at the time of construction of the house. The general appearance must remain the same.

The above information was received by Robert Jacques of Quebec and was received by him from the City of Charlesbourg.


This house was built by Antoine Jacques.
Construction began in 1774 and ended in 1775.
It has recently been purchased by the Société Historique du Québec. 
Photographed by Robert Jacques, 12/25/2001
Click on thumbnail  for larger view of this and the next 4 photos
This photo is courtesy of the
Village of St-Barthélemy
This photo of Joseph's house refurbished was taken by Robert Jacques 12/16/2001

"A house built by and for a certain Joseph Jacques who was married to Marie-Anne Turcot."  These were the parents of Zacharie Jacques, who was the great-great grandfather of the webmaster.
The house is located on York Road in
St.-Barthélemy, Québec.  The house was purchased in the 1960's and has been refurbished.

York Road
York Road was at one time the main street of the
village of St.-Barthélemy
and until 1947 part of the Trans-Canada highway.
Photo supplied by Robert Jacques courtesy of the
Village of St-Barthélemy, Québec

A farm purported to be the farm of Zacharie Jacques in St.-Barthélemy, Québec, photo taken in 1945, supplied by Robert Jacques courtesy of the
Village of St-Barthélemy, Québec

Click on the thumbnail for larger view
Above, the Arch Street House of
Arthur Francis and Celine Jacques, Sr.
505 Arch Street, Marquette, Michigan
The upper two photos courtesy of Joanne Menhennick
The lower photo courtesy of Edgar Pugh, Jr.
The house still stands but is now painted barn red

Front Yard

Back Yard
Above, the Rockway Place House of
Arthur Francis and Maude Jacques, Jr.,
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin. ca 1950s
This house stills remain, but has been changed, mostly inside, but the twin Blue Spruces on the front lawn are now gone.

 

 

Click Here!

Fully Featured Website Hosting!!!